The Children’s Museum of Cleveland achieved LEED Platinum under v4.1 EB+OM in October of 2019. Emerald worked with CMC to provide sustainability consulting, LEED documentation, and retro commissioning. Energy efficiency on the historic building was improved through new HVAC and upgraded LED exterior lighting for both safety and light pollution reduction. New recycling and waste practices have allowed the museum to reduce their waste and provide visitors with greener options in the cafeteria. The museum has also transitioned to green cleaning products, which has enhanced the indoor environment for both the employees and visitors. Through improved outdoor air ventilation and indoor air quality testing, CMC is able provide a safe and healthy environment for children and visitors to learn and play.
The original building was a 10,000 SF, 15 room structure built during the Civil War era in 1866, as a residence for Western Union Telegraph Company executive Anson Stager. The mansion is one of the last remaining from Cleveland's Millionaire's Row. In 1913, the building began being used as a private dining / event club for Cleveland business leaders. After the closure of the University Club in the early 21st Century, the structure housed Myers University, a for-profit adult education business. Over the years and use changes, the building as it stands now is nearly 51,000 SF with over 100 rooms, incorporating multiple additions and attached structures. In October 2017, after a few years of vacancy, followed by limited operations and moderate renovation, the structure became the official home of the Cleveland Children’s Museum. The building is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.